If your an entrepreneur today, do you understand the social and financial impact cellphones is having on your business? They are the remote controls for people making their way through life. If you’re not shifting your business to take advantage of this trend, you will lose out and suffer greatly on your bottom line in the near future.
E-commerce is growing 23% year-over-year, yet 46% of American small businesses do not have a website. You need to sell your products on your website, Amazon, eBay and even your Facebook page.
- 51% of Americans prefer to shop online
- 96% of Americans with internet access have made an online purchase in their life, 80% in the past month alone
- Online orders increase 8.9% in Q3 2016.
- 67% of Millennials and 56% of Gen Xers prefer to shop on online rather than in-store.
- 41% of Baby Boomers and 28% of Seniors will click to purchase.
- Millennials and Gen Xers spend nearly 50% as much time shopping online each week (six hours) than their older counterparts (four hours).
- 48% of millennials have shopped on marketplaces, 76% at large retailer sites, 46% on websites or independent boutiques, and 29% at category-specific online stores.
- 56% of Gen Xers have shopped on marketplaces, 76% at large retailer sites, 49% on websites or independent boutiques, and – – 37% at category-specific online stores.
- 59% of Baby Boomers have shopped on marketplaces, 74% at large retailer sites, 42% on websites or independent boutiques, and 39% at category-specific online stores.
- 51% of Seniors have shopped on marketplaces, 66% at large retailer sites, 30% on websites or independent boutiques, and – – 44% at category-specific online stores.
- Millennials and Gen Xers spend 6 hours per week shopping online
- Baby Boomers spend 4 hours per week shopping online.
- Seniors spend 2.5 hours per week shopping online.
Since 2015 Search Engines uses mobile friendliness as a website ranking factor for people who search using their phone. So search engines are going out of there way to remove your clunky sites from all search results. Crazy right! So if your site is not mobile responsive, it’s like not even having a website today. You’re not get found and recommended by search engines. Get yourself a responsive website for free!
Cell Phone Addiction
Most people are inseparable from my their phone. There aren’t many places we go today without having a connection to the outside world. But did you know that the average person checks their cell phone over 110 times a day?
It’s clear that this can easily become a problem for people. Here is a look at cell phone usage today, this is just a tip of the iceberg. These stats will be laughable in 5 years and a footnote in history in 15.
Smart Phone Dependence
How many times a day do you look at your mobile phone? Does the sound of the default iPhone ringtone cause an immediate reaction in you? Does the little red notifications circle in the corner of an app drive you insane? Are we pre-programmed to be dependent on our mobile device, or have social norms forced phone obsession on us? More importantly, though, how can marketers take advantage of this?
To make sense of our reactions, it’s first important to understand how classical conditioning plays a role in how we interact with technology. A hundred years ago, a repeated vibrating noise would have been a cause for concern, not an immediate reach for your purse. We’ve become so attached to our devices that our bodies react to certain sounds without us even realizing it. Imagine if you had the ability to send out an ad for your service that, rather than repelling your customer base, beckoned to them like the tempting toll of an ice cream truck. Email and push notifications make a mobile phone user feel acknowledged and appreciated. When you check your phone after a 30-minute break and realize you don’t have any notifications, you may feel unloved and invisible. A notification, even from a brand trying to get your business, helps alleviate that feeling. Sure, this monopolizes on an unhealthy, dependent relationship between a consumer and their phone, but at least both parties are getting something out of it. A good mobile marketing agency will know the perfect time of day to leverage high mobile phone usage and the right wording to draw in business.
Mobile Marketing Applications
Alright, now that we’ve established why mobile phones are addicting and such a great marketing tool, let’s take a look at how you can use this device to your advantage through a mobile marketing agency.
Since 2015 Search Engines uses mobile friendliness as a website ranking factor for people who search using their phone. So search engines are going out of there way to remove your clunky sites from all search results. So if your site is not mobile responsive, it’s like not even having a website today. You’re not get found and recommended by search engines. Get yourself a responsive website for free!